We can’t escape

Latest hurricane track is for Irene to hit the junction of N and S Carolina on Saturday.

We’re currently near Charleston S.C. We’re heading for Myrtle Beach, S.C., should reach there on Wednesday.

Why Myrtle Beach (exactly where the current track is headed)? We spent the day (while traveling) calling various marinas on the way. None of them would allow us to dock there during a hurricane. (Fear of us damaging their docks). We finally found a marina in Myrtle Beach. Interestingly it is quite cheap and gets excellent reviews in the cruising websites. We’re looking forward to arriving.

We’ll tie up Latitude Adjustment as best we can, maybe rent a car and drive as far inland as we can.

If we get a direct hit at a Category II or III I don’t think there’s much chance the boat will survive. That would put an early end to our trip.


This entry was posted in Chesapeake, Travel and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to We can’t escape

  1. Jane and Larry says:


    I guess the most important thing in getting through Hurricane Irene is that the three of you are safe. Assuming that fact, we do hope your boat has good luck. We will be thinking of you.


  2. Marc says:

    Why not just go further north?

    • Alan says:

      First of all the hurricane is traveling at 9 kts (and might speed up) and we can only go 6-7 kts. It would eventually catch up to us.
      In addition it’s now predicted to go all the way up to New England.

      No, running in a sailboat isn’t the answer.

      • Marc says:

        Yeah I see that now. It’s a good thing I didn’t take up sailing. Looks like docking at Myrtle Beach was the best decision.

        And at least you’re getting to experience some excitement in your life. 🙂

        • Alan says:

          In addition, even if we could outrun Irene, we’d end up in the Chesapeake (our destination) and have to face her there. You can’t win.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *